Thoughts about Trayvon Martin
“He said this man was watching him, so he put his hoodie on. He said he lost the man,” Martin’s friend said. “I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run but he said he was not going to run.”
Can we have moment
to comment on the fact that Trayvon Martin’s girlfriend told him to run from Zimmerman.
This teenager-not even a fully grown black woman yet, told her black boyfriend to run from this white man.
Because in America, even a 16 black woman knows she has no rights. She knows the men she loves could be gunned down at any moment for no good reason.
She knows they will be pulled from cars, harassed walking down the street, and dodging bullets in their own neighborhoods.
She knows it isn’t safe to be black. This proves that this is not an isolated incidence. This is the reality for black people in America. We are repeatedly shown that out lives are worth less. As far as the justice system is concerned, we are still 3/5 of a person. I wonder how many “dead niggers” equals a white life.
She and Trayvon are CHILDREN. Our children live in fear in what is supposed to be “the greatest country in the world”.
Think about that for a moment before you start making excuses and saying “all white people aren’t like that.” Because it really doesn’t matter whether all white people are racist or not. I know there is no way that they all can be. I have a number of great, aware, kind, and genuine white friends. There’s nothing to be done about those who wish to remain ignorant. To them, I quote Nina Simone- “You don’t have to live next to me, just give me my equality.”
The most glaring problem here is not racist extremists- they’re a lost cause, and I’m not about to waste my lovely black life trying to change their views- it is the terrifying number or people who are willing to ignore injustice. The number who only see Trayvon as another dead black man instead of what he is- a murdered child.
Address your fucking privilege and whiteness, people. That is all.
If you have a problem with my views, that’s fine. The unfollow button is at the top of the page.
As a black woman who is going to raise black children in this country, I have a moral responsibility to speak out about Trayvon, and the gross miscarriage of justice that is occuring here.
- rickysuavemami likes this
- blakkunt likes this
- justsothoughts reblogged this from so-treu
- androidbromance likes this
- dementorkissmycooch reblogged this from zettaiizetsumei
- zettaiizetsumei reblogged this from alienschoolgirl
- alienschoolgirl reblogged this from scooterpiebanana
- afunnyfeminist likes this
- subida likes this
- clatterandclank reblogged this from scooterpiebanana
- scooterpiebanana reblogged this from so-treu
- marypsue reblogged this from fairybeatsdragon
- anastasiajeanettemarie likes this
- nocticola likes this
- commiphora reblogged this from manif3stlove and added:
- thebookofstyle likes this
- outlaw-monarch likes this
- sinshine reblogged this from deadblogx
- nomorewakemeup likes this
- rhenomdeplume reblogged this from daniellemertina
- subdual likes this
- tobiasgodofwhore reblogged this from daniellemertina
- tobiasgodofwhore likes this
- hatofass likes this
- swimmingsimians reblogged this from rainbowvibri
- rayannwilnot reblogged this from queennubian
- ardours likes this
- wastardust reblogged this from bringmewaterformymind
- akamido reblogged this from caterfree10
- caterfree10 reblogged this from fragmentedquailsoul
- emilyandthemagicalmouse reblogged this from orbitingasupernova
- tal9000 reblogged this from genderbitch
- internetgangstar likes this
- tamaraleach reblogged this from blackamazon
- marzipanowls likes this
- amyponder likes this
- otpofotps reblogged this from bookmusicalover
- naylawriteshere likes this
- tantalaliscious reblogged this from anedumacationisnomore and added:
- limchoylee likes this
- king-wicked likes this
- limiculous likes this
- boxphones reblogged this from bringmewaterformymind
- zulu-b reblogged this from queennubian
- neonpink09 reblogged this from m-alee
- hordorvers likes this
- earthmajesty likes this
- genuhhveeve likes this